Book Your Vacation Rental
Uncovering the Hidden History of an Anna Maria Island Cottage
A name uncovered during repairs connects Anna Maria Island Getaway to the years when Bradenton Beach was becoming a place where visitors could arrive by road, rent a cottage, and stay awhile.
A name from another island era
When storm repairs opened an exterior wall in Unit 9 at Anna Maria Island Getaway, the crew found two handwritten words on the wood: Leigh Rorick.
The name had been sealed inside the building for decades. It was a small discovery, but it pointed toward a much larger story – not simply the story of one builder, but the story of how this narrow barrier island became a place for vacations.
Today, arriving at Bradenton Beach is easy to take for granted. In the island’s earliest settled years, nearly everything and everyone came by water.
Before the bridges
Anna Maria Riles, born on the island in 1897, left a vivid first-person account now preserved by the Manatee County Public Library. She remembered schooners carrying ice and supplies to Cortez and returning to Tampa loaded with fish. Steamboats brought mail, passengers, and provisions. On the island, people moved by boat, horse, wagon, or on foot.
Her landscape was divided in two. The Gulf side was open, covered with wire grass, sea oats, cactus, and scattered sea grapes. The bay side was densely wooded, with mangroves leaning over the water and bayous winding inland. Fish, clams, oysters, and scallops were not attractions on an itinerary; they were part of daily life.
The island was beautiful, but it was not effortless. Raising a house could become a community project, with neighbors turning carpenter. Roads sometimes had to be cut through the bluff just to get wagons onto the beach. Travel depended on boats, weather, and whether a steamer had reason to stop.
The bridge that changed the rhythm
The City of Bradenton Beach records that the first bridge from the fishing village of Cortez reached the island at Bridge Street in 1921. Before then, visitors arrived by boat. With a road connection, Bridge Street became the center of a growing island community.
The place was still known as Cortez Beach. In the late 1920s, according to the City, the Bradenton Herald began calling it Bradenton Beach, and the name took hold. The town itself would not incorporate until 1952, but the pattern that still defines its southern end was already emerging: mainland visitors crossed near Bridge Street, then spread along a slender strip of cottages between the bay and Gulf.
The bridge did more than shorten a trip. It made an island stay practical for families traveling with trunks, groceries, fishing gear, and children. By the late 1930s, a cottage could serve as a home for weeks or months rather than a stop between boat schedules.

Eighth Street becomes part of the story
That is where Leigh Rorick enters the record.
Two brief Bradenton Herald notices from 1939 place visiting families in a “Rorick cottage” on Eighth Street. In February, Mrs. Bruce Knight and her children from Hanover, New Hampshire, were described as settled there. In October, Mr. and Mrs. Herbert Perry had taken the cottage for an indefinite stay.
These notices matter less as the whole story than as evidence of a pattern. Guests were not merely passing through. They were settling into island life – close enough to appear in the community column, with no checkout date worth mentioning.
In August 1940, another newspaper item described Leigh Rorick as an Ohioan who had purchased lots at Bradenton Beach and built several cottages. The Manatee County Property Appraiser dates present-day Unit 9 at 107 8th Street South to 1940. Five years later, a notice in the Dade City Banner said that Leigh and his wife had lived at Bradenton Beach for eight years before moving to Dade City; it identified him as a sign writer by trade.
That profession makes the discovery in the wall feel especially personal. A man who made his living lettering signs appears to have left his own name where almost no one was meant to see it.
From Rorick cottages to The Islander Apartments
Property-history records shared by the current owners add another layer to the story. They trace Leigh Rorick’s purchase of Lots 11 and 12 in the Wyman & Green subdivision to December 1938, followed by the Roricks’ sale of the property in March 1945. The Manatee County Clerk’s plat index independently identifies the Wyman & Greens Subdivision of Cortez Beach in Plat Book 2, page 83 – the same subdivision reference carried in the 1938 deed citation.
A July 1969 Bradenton Herald notice shows Thomas J. and Doreen G. Carter registering The Islander Apartments as the fictitious name for the rental-apartment business at 107 8th Street South. That name provides a useful bridge between Rorick’s original cottage era and the property’s present life: although owners and accommodations changed, welcoming people to Eighth Street remained part of the property’s identity.
What we can say – and what remains hidden
No record located so far proves that today’s Unit 9 was the exact Rorick cottage occupied by the Knight or Perry families in 1939. The evidence does establish a close historical connection: the same street, rental use in 1939, Rorick’s documented cottage building, Unit 9’s 1940 construction date, and his name physically preserved inside its wall.
That is more interesting than a tidy claim to being “the original vacation rental.” Anna Maria Island welcomed visitors long before Leigh Rorick arrived. His cottages belonged to a pivotal chapter, when the island had become reachable by automobile but had not yet become the destination people recognize today.
The experience those early guests sought was probably simple: a cottage near the water, time outdoors, and a chance to live by the island’s rhythm. That part of the story feels remarkably current.
A cottage tradition that survived
The signature reappeared because a storm damaged the property and walls had to be opened. It is difficult to imagine a more fitting reminder of island history. Anna Maria has always been shaped by water – the Gulf that draws people here, the bay that sustained early residents, and the storms that periodically force the island to repair and begin again.
Anna Maria Island Getaway has now been renovated for its next chapter. Its nine vacation apartments and condos are housed within the four original cottages on Eighth Street South, within walking distance of the Gulf, the bay, and the old bridge landing that helped turn Bradenton Beach into a vacation community.
Guests arrive differently now. Reservations happen online, journeys are measured by traffic rather than steamer schedules, and cottages come with comforts their first occupants could scarcely have imagined. Yet the essential promise is familiar: cross the water, unpack, and stay awhile.
Explore Anna Maria Island Getaway’s vacation rentals and book direct →
Sources and historical note
Historical context for this article draws on Anna Maria Riles’ Island Homestead, the City of Bradenton Beach’s history, Manatee County property and plat records, 1939-1940 and 1969 Bradenton Herald archives, a 1945 Dade City Banner notice, photographs supplied by the property owners, and deed references provided by Manatee County Clerk Historical Resources.
These records connect Leigh Rorick, Eighth Street cottage rentals, cottage construction, and present-day Unit 9, but they do not conclusively identify Unit 9 as either specific cottage mentioned in 1939.